About the job
Rival is looking for an enterprising Associate to join our core consulting team with a focus on paid media.
As an Associate, you will play an exciting part in building our paid media, analytics, and go-to-market offerings. This full-time role will build strategic thinking as well as technical expertise for those new to the industry or with some experience who want to deepen their existing skills. You’ll get to spend time working directly with clients, but also help build a business and have a real impact on the development of Rival’s internal processes and operations.
We are a distributed team with people currently based across the US, UK, Europe, and Asia. You can work from anywhere in the world.
You will spend most of your time:
- Leading the execution of Rival’s own brand and some of our client’s paid media spends across multiple channels
- Supporting the Senior Consultant on the creation of reports, testing agendas, dashboards, and process documentation for campaigns
- Supporting the Senior Consultant and Operations Director on account management, billing, invoicing and spend tracking for our and our client’s budgets
- Collaborating with the Senior Consultant and other Partners/Principals on client strategy by providing key insights on paid media results, including presenting to clients directly
- Coordinating and partnering with some client in-house or partner agency paid media teams on shared executions
- Over time, gaining experience and relevant certifications on key paid media, analytics, and reporting platforms (Google Analytics, Adobe Experience Manager, Tableau, Facebook Ads Manager, et al.)
- Over time, supporting the Managing Partner and Senior Consultant with client capability building, including training, workshops, and upskilling
- Over time, leading with the support of the Senior Consultant in the development of client recommendations for paid media campaigns, testing, and go-to-market strategies
You will join an existing team, reporting to the Senior Consultant.
- You will be joining the Rival journey at an exciting time. While our paid media and go-to-market practice is still nascent, we’re selectively taking on small, carefully defined engagements with key clients.
- Just like you can work anywhere, so are our clients anywhere - you’ll get a truly global perspective and be exposed to brands and projects in North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia (and hopefully Latin America soon).
- This role has buckets of opportunity for progression. Even if you have zero experience in marketing consulting, paid media, or analytics, we’ll give you the training, mentorship, and projects to grow into an expert over time.
- This role also differs from traditional agency media buying roles: advancement as an Associate will build not just your technical skills, but expose you to broader strategic principles. And unlike traditional consultancies, you’ll learn by doing and actually executing real campaigns. With Rival, you’re not pigeonholed into a single career track, but given foundational skills that can transfer to many different roles in marketing and media.
- You’ll be exposed to thinking on brand strategy, product creation, capability development, and Rival’s other practice areas as part of our holistic client solutions.
We'd like this candidate to have...
- We do not require a minimum years of experience, but we’d prefer you to have some experience or a strong demonstrated interest in marketing effectiveness, paid media, or data & analytics.
- Some experience using Google Suite or equivalent tools, particularly Sheets (Microsoft Excel).
- Some data and quantitative skills, including an ability to do analysis using pivot tables and basic data visualization
- Good organisational skills along with the demonstrated ability to work to a deadline
- A start up mentality and personality: you're mission driven and not afraid to get stuck in
- Able to attend meetings in-person for at least one week each quarter and travel for company events twice a year
- No university degree required - we value your experience and skills
We would be particularly excited if...
- You have experience executing any paid media campaigns, such as paid search (Google, Bing, ASA, Baidu), or paid social (Meta, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, Twitter). We’ll train you up, but even a little background knowledge goes a long way!
- You have strong data and quant skills, like competency in R, Python, or SQL, advanced Sheets/Excel competency like VBA, or advanced coursework in mathematics, data science, economics, or a related field
- Our compensation philosophy is to pay mid-market base with top-market upside
- There are three components to our compensation package
- Base Salary - pegged to UK average for management consulting (to reduce the gender and ethnic pay gap) and adjust based on cost of living for your city
- Profit Share - a % of the company’s profit is shared each quarter with all employees who have been with the company for one year or more
- Employee Options - all employees are eligible for our options scheme after they’ve been with the company for one year
- The base salary for this role based in London (or similar cost of living city) is £33,000-£43,000
- Per the above, the salary range is fixed and will be adjusted based on where you live
- In New York City, this is an overtime exempt position with a base salary of $59,000
- Profit Share and Stock Options
- Remote-first, fully flexible working environment
- You can work anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year
- The equipment and technology you need to be successful, plus additional support if you need to enhance your work from home set up
- On-demand office space as needed
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Quarterly ‘get together days’
- We cover everything to get teams to connect in their geographical hub
- Annual company retreats
- All-expense paid trip once a year for team building and fun!
- 32 days PTO each year
- 25 discretionary vacation days
- This may vary based on the country you live/work in, but we will ensure everyone has the same minimum number of PTO between discretionary vacation days and public holidays
- 7 company ‘recharge days’ during the year - these are mandatory days that everyone takes off to relax and focus on family, friends and ourselves.
- Various surprise and delights & Rival events throughout the year.
Rival is a growth consultancy that builds challenger brands, strategies, and capabilities to change categories.We started Rival to answer a question: when every brand calls themselves a challenger… why do some only challenge the category while some fundamentally change it? We combine the brains of a management consulting firm with the executional experience of an agency to build actionable marketing strategies and in-house capabilities that grow rival brands. We work with growth leaders across Fortune 500 brands and scale-ups across three areas of the marketing function: brand development, go-to-market strategy, and capability development.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Rival, we're invested in a thoughtful, long-term hiring approach that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We care about creating a global community with a combined mission, but not at the expense of losing individual identity, which is critical to our innovation. It’s essential that we bring our authentic self to work every day, no matter our age, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, neurodiversity, or otherwise.
We listen to our employees, take direction and are taking continual action to better ourselves in this mission. Inclusion isn't just an initiative at Rival. We strive to embed it into all aspects of our business model and how we operate.