🥣Magic Spoon is a challenger direct-to-consumer (DTC) cereal brand launched in 2019 and achieved a $100M valuation and 1M customers in just two years. Their product was differentiated (gluten-free, high protein, low sugar, etc), but their marketing strategy was a lot of what drove their hyper-growth.
Here’s how they did it:
- Tap into Nostalgia: Magic Spoon created a modern version of classic cereal flavors that adults remember from their childhood, such as Fruity and Cinnamon Toast. By offering healthier options for nostalgic cereals, they were able to differentiate themselves from other cereal brands.
- Use Influencer Marketing at Scale: Magic Spoon partnered with popular social media influencers who target their desired audience to promote their brand on Instagram and other platforms. This allowed them to reach a wider audience and build a loyal customer base.
- Leverage Data to Iterate Quickly: Magic Spoon used a DTC model to connect directly with their customers, allowing them to have more control over their distribution channels, a more personalized experience to their customers, but also a TON more data to improve the effectiveness of their marketing campaigns.
- Expand Into Retail: After establishing a strong customer base through their DTC model, Magic Spoon expanded into retail by partnering with stores such as Whole Foods, Wegmans, and Target, allowing them to reach a wider audience and build brand trust through offline channels.
👉Key takeaways for you:
- Nostalgia never goes out of style and is something that every brand (yes, you even you, enterprise B2B brand) can leverage. How could you tap into nostalgia around your brand and product/service?
- If you’re a B2C and certainly if you’re a DTC brand, you’re likely already using influencers. But influencer marketing is just “micro-earned” media. Tapping into the pools of consumer attention that others have already built. Where are the existing pools of your customer’s attention that you can tap into?
- Great brands and marketing teams are able to drive growth with a magical (no pun intended) combo of creativity AND data. Most of us aren’t nearly data-driven enough. If you wanted to make your team (or yourself) just 20% more data-driven, how would you do it?
- How Magic Spoon Mined Nostalgia and Influencer Marketing to Sell Adults on DTC Cereal
- How magic spoon is building an early lead in the DTC cereal trend
- How Magic Spoon Reached 1 Million Customers by Harnessing the Power of DTC and Podcasts